Monday, October 17, 2011

"Sure thing babe."

Ever since I can remember there have always been memories of going to Grandma and Grandpa Smith's house in Utah. We would go just about every summer and visit. Every morning we kids would wake up to Grandpa cooking up a storm. The kitchen would be full of the sweet aroma of whatever delight he decided to whip up. What we waited for was the world famous french toast. We traveled across Nevada....NEVADA, for this french toast. It was worth it every time. Grandpa would usually have his tiny little black and white tv on watching something while he cooked. I remember walking in the kitchen, rubbing my eyes, and just hearing him turning and say, "Morning babe!" Always a happy guy.

His TV was his pride and joy. I've never seen a man so engulfed in a TV. He loved his westerns. His present to himself his last Christmas was a flat screen TV. If he wasn't watching TV he was reading. I loved looking through his books. He would have all these old biographies on Abraham Lincoln from like the 40s and I would just have my eyes glued to them. 

He loved my mom so much. I've never seen a father love a daughter as much as he loved her. She would do anything for him and vice versa. He knew her so well and still worried about her down to his last days. I miss his sense of humor and his one liners. 

"Rise and shine resurrection morning!"
"He's a keeper"
"Sure thing babe"
"Judas Priest!"
"LOIS!"
And many, many more.

I love my grandpa. I miss him. 


Grandpa, 

I hope you have a happy birthday! Say hi to Aunt Ann Marie and Aunt Stacie for me. 

I love you.

Tara

1 comment: